Police Officer Recruitment
Do you have what it takes to be a Lake Zurich Police Officer?
The members of the Lake Zurich Police Department embrace a community oriented policing philosophy best summarized by our value of, "Always Our Best.” To achieve this standard, qualified candidates must be aperson of good character and ability. Candidates will be required to successfully complete a series of rigorous evaluations including a written test, physical agility, oral interview, polygraph examination, an extensive background investigation, and post-offer psychological and medical tests.
Character Counts in Lake Zurich
Our values are at the core of what we do. We begin with a person’s character and continue to provide opportunities for growth through training and appropriate resources. We believe the public must have confidence, trust, and faith in the ability of every Lake Zurich Police officer to efficiently and competently perform their duties. The Village of Lake Zurich’s character reflects its employees.
The Lake Zurich Police Department provides a full range of police services to enhance the safety of residents and to recruit and retain the very best staff. The Lake Zurich Police Department has a staff of 33 full-time sworn officers and 19 civilian personnel to serve the Village. The police department is a 24/7 operation delivering superior service to the citizens of Lake Zurich.
2022 police officer starting salary is $71,988.80, with current top pay being $103,022.40 (step 6).
Newly hired police officers without previous police officer experience shall be eligible to receive the $2,000 certified police officer stipend upon successfully completing police academy training and meeting the department’s firearms qualification standard.
The Village of Lake Zurich offers full-time police officers a comprehensive benefit package including health care plans, dental, and life insurance. Please see the information on this web page for details.
What are the minimum requirements?
- U.S. citizen, naturalized citizen or in the process of citizenship at time of hire.
- High School diploma or equivalent high school education;
- At least 21 years of age, and under 35 years of age at time of application, or as otherwise exempt by statute;
- Valid Driver’s License;
- Proof of vaccination against COVID-19;
- Valid Peace Officer Wellness Evaluation Report (POWER) issued prior to October 16, 2022. POWER test cards are considered valid if issued within twelve (12) months PRIOR to the application deadline (10/16/2021 - 10/16/2022).
- Completion of the application and submission of the required documents by 12:00 p.m. on Friday, September 30, 2022.
Orientation & Written Test
The orientation sessions and written tests will take place on Saturday, October 8, 2022 and Tuesday, October 11, 2022 at the Lake Zurich Police Department, 200 Mohawk Trail, Lake Zurich, Illinois 60047.
Saturday, October 8, 2022 (maximum 34 candidates)
- Check in – 7:30 a.m. to 8:00 a.m.
- Orientation – 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
- Written Test – 8:30 a.m.
Tuesday, October 11, 2022 (maximum 34 candidates)
- Check in – 6:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Orientation – 6:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Written Test – 7:00 p.m.
Applicants wishing to take an on-line version of the written test must indicate this in their application documents. Applicants will be required to acknowledge and adhere to a security agreement prior to taking the test. Applicants should review the orientation PowerPoint prior to taking the on-line written test. Applicants will be sent a unique username and password for the test via e-mail.
The on-line test will be available from Saturday, October 8, 2022 through Tuesday, October 11, 2022.
POWER Test Information
Learn about the POWER test at:
POWER tests may be taken at one of the following testing agencies:
- NIPSTA - Glenview, IL - http://www.nipsta.org/202/POWER-Test
- Joliet Junior College - https://www.jjc.edu/about-jjc/places-interest/power-testing
- Triton College – https://www.triton.edu/about/dept/academic/school-of-business-and-technology/criminal-justice-administration/power-registration-policy/
How can I prepare for the exam?
Candidates can order a study guide or practice written test here: https://www.applytoserve.com/Study/
The guide and practice test are simply resources for candidates looking for preparation materials in advance of the test. They are not required reading in order to sit for the actual test.