The Village of Lake Zurich continues to move toward its goal of building a stronger unified downtown where local businesses can thrive and residents can gather and live. After extensive public meetings and planning discussions over the past decade, the Village unveiled plans to bring new life to the downtown area.
In keeping with the master planning vision, the downtown redevelopment will:
- Create an environment where new businesses flourish and existing businesses can grow and thrive
- Make the downtown pedestrian friendly
- Build a stronger, unified community identity and gathering place
- Establish the downtown area as a community gathering place
- Relocate Route 22 to alleviate traffic congestion
- Capitalize on lakefront vistas
- Encourage public facilities to remain or relocate downtown
- Address parking with on-street and below-ground parking
- Retain and improve existing parks
- Replace dilapidated and obsolete buildings
- Rebuild aging streets and sidewalks
- Substantially increase property and sales tax revenues
Lake Zurich is moving forward with shaping the downtown. Learn what has already taken place in our downtown updates brief.
Downtown Development Concepts
The concept depicted is a multi-tenant retail, office space, restaurant, banquet use with extensive outdoor seating to provide an outdoor/indoor feel. Parking would be toward the rear of the building preserving and capitalizing on the lake view.
There is a unique opportunity to establish a gathering place within Breezewald Park to enjoy the tall trees and watch spectacular sunsets at the lake. It is envisioned for a private business to operate out of the pavilion, providing a selection of beverages and ready-to-eat snacks. Biergarten tables & benches, umbrellas and Edison-type lighting would provide a welcoming atmosphere for a low impact community destination without late night operating hours.