Permits & Inspections
How can I obtain a building permit?
Building permit applications are available and issued by the Building and Zoning Division located at the Community Services Facility located at 505 Telser Road – about a mile north of Route #22 in the Industrial Park. The hours of operation are: Monday through Friday,
7 am – 4 pm. Residential permit applications and forms are available here and commercial applications and forms are available here.
Permit Pick-Up and Payments
Permit pickup and payment is available Monday through Friday from
7:15 am to 3:30 pm. The Village accepts cash, checks and the following credit cards: American Express, MasterCard & Discover. Use of a credit card is subject to a 2.35% processing fee.
Various permit applications and permit requirements are available online in PDF format.
Inspections take place Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 3:30 pm with morning and afternoon time options. Through an intergovernmental agreement, Lake County’s Planning, Building and Development Department conduct inspections for the Village. Appointments for the following day must be made by 3 pm by contacting the Building and Zoning office at 847-540-1696. The Village is not able to accommodate same day inspections at this time.
When calling, please have your permit number ready. If you need to cancel an inspection appointment, please call the B&Z office no later than two hours before an inspection to avoid being charged a re-inspection fee.
|Permit Type||Business Days|
|Exterior residential projects (patios, decks, driveways, walks)||7|
|Interior construction - residential & non-residential||10|
|New addition/new construction - residential & non-residential||15|
|Subsequent plan reviews (all types)||5|
- APPLY EARLY. Involved projects often require changes to ensure code compliance. Applying for a permit well in advance of the start of your project is highly recommended.
- SUBMIT A COMPLETE APPLICATION. The Village’s website includes specific information on information required to submit a complete application for your home improvement project. Submitting an incomplete application only delays the permit review process.
- CALL AND ASK QUESTIONS. If you have a specific question or not sure if your project needs a permit, contact the Building and Zoning Division staff in the Community Services Department at 847-540-1696. A qualified and trained staff person can address your question.
- ENSURE CONTRACTORS ARE REGISTERED. All contractors doing work in the Village are required to be registered. Verify that the contractor has a valid Village registration number and all their information is up to date. Make sure to provide full information on each contractor on the permit application. A link to a list of currently registered contractors is available here.
A building permit helps ensure safe construction and protects home value. The Village of Lake Zurich has adopted nationally recognized building codes that reflect safe and modern construction practices. The trained and knowledgeable staff in the Building and Zoning Division has many years of construction experience and apply these standards during permit review and inspection.
The Building and Zoning staff completely understand that residents and contractors are often quite anxious to pick up their permit and start the project. The staff is committed to processing permits as quickly as possible. With this in mind, when a permit is submitted the B&Z staff will provide a time frame as to when to expect to be notified by telephone when the permit will be ready for pick-up. Unless the expected time frame has passed, please refrain from calling to check on the status of your permit. This ties up staff resources and slows down processing time.
Once approved, building permits are good for a full year before expiration.
Please call the Building and Zoning Division at
Residents doing work without a building permit run the risk that their home project will be built in non-conformance with established construction standards which comprises the health and safety of the home’s current and future inhabitants. Moreover, Lake Zurich’s Village Code specifies that work done without a permit is against the law. Violators will be charged a fine of up to two times the total permit fee.
In addition, residents should know that it is becoming more common for prospective home buyers to request from the Village building permit and inspection documentation before making a home purchase offer. Lack of proper home improvement documentation can impact the sale price of a home. To help ensure safe construction, avoid costly fines, and safeguard home value, residents are advised to make sure a building permit is obtained before beginning a home improvement project.
Construction activity is permitted in the Village:
- Monday through Friday: 7 am to 7 pm
- Saturday: 8 am to 5 pm
- Sunday: Not Permitted
A list of the more common residential projects that require a building permit are shown below. If your project is not listed below, contact the Building and Zoning Division.
- Air Conditioning (new or replacement)
- Demolitions (structural & interior)
- Driveway (replacement, resurface and/or expansion)
- Electrical (panel changes, service upgrades, new receptacles and switches)
- Fences and Dog Runs
- Fire Pits (permanent)
- Furnace (including garage)
- Gazebos and Yard Structures
- Lawn Irrigation
- Patios (new & repair)
- Porches, Stoops, Landings & Stairs
- Remodeling (kitchen, bath, basement, etc.)
- Retaining Walls
- Sewer/Water Disconnection and Upgrade
- Sheds – longer than 6 feet or larger than 18 square feet
- Sidewalks & Service Walks
- Siding (new or repair), Soffit and Fascia
- Swimming Pools/Spas/Hot Tubs
- Tents (with a temporary use)
- Water Features
- Water Heater
- Windows & Doors
- Work in the Public Right-of-Way